The Mature Language Filter prevents rude words from being seen in chat. Whenever a person swears, anyone with the filter enabled will see something like #@$^. Many players choose to turn the filter off.
Some players don't know how to turn the filter off and will often try to circumvent it by typing spaces between letters.
For example, say 'damn' was a word the filter would block. A player might try to bypass the filter by typing it as d amn.
Some players mistake the language filter as something that also masks their typed language for others. Players should note that their personal language filter setting has no bearing on what other players will see, and offensive messages, regardless of filter setting, may result in GM action if reported.
In Cataclysm EditCataclysm This section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
If you do not run World of Warcraft "as administrator" in Windows Vista/7, the filter may not behave as you expect (turning itself on completely randomly). After Patch 4.3, the filter may turn on again after every relog.
Some of the words caught by the filter have been controversial. In theory Blizzard reviews the filter list based on complaints and corrects them in future patches.
- ↑ Blizzard Entertainment Auryk 2010-11-14. #3 - Mature Language Filter Turning On!. Official Customer Support fprum (US). Archived from the original on 2010-11-14.
- ↑ Blizzard Entertainment Nevalistis 2011-01-14. #2 - Mature Language Filter. Official Customer Support forum (US).
- ↑ Blizzard Entertainment Nakatoir 2011-12-09. #22 - Mature Language Filter. Official Customer Support forum (EU). I iz ban u naow, Shammoz!!! :p
This is indeed a known issue that we are currently working on fixing, so as said by Shammoz, This will hopefully be fixed soon™ *Crosses fingers*
- ↑ Blizzard Entertainment Kaivax 2012-01-09. #28 - When is 4.3.2 live?. Official General Discussion forum (US).
- ↑ Blizzard Entertainment Bashiok 2012-01-24. #333 - "Transexual" censored by filter.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We’ve reviewed our filter list and there are a few words there that should not be blocked as profanity; we'll be removing them in a future patch. Again, thanks for the report. If you see or are subject to someone using any words in a harassing, defamatory, or derogatory way, you can report the situation to our customer support staff to be handled. You can do so in-game by clicking on the red question mark near your bags.