The Warcraft universe is inhabited by many races of sentient and sapient beings. These races speak many different languages, have different homelands and racial traits, and can pursue different classes.
Though most races are native to the world of Azeroth, some have arrived from other worlds, such as Draenor. The armies of the Burning Legion are culled from many worlds throughout the Twisting Nether.
As of Cataclysm Cataclysm, there are two playable factions in World of Warcraft, the Alliance and the Horde, and each is comprised of six very different races who can play a variety of different classes.
In Warcraft lore, race often has the same definition as species. Occasionally, within a race/species are groups called subspecies/subraces Note that use of race may not always denote separate species however (and may refer to ethnicities/subraces/subspecies within species, i.e. blood elves vs. high elves).
Playable races EditPilt:WoW Icon 16x16.gif This section concerns content exclusive to World of Warcraft.
† Note that Humans receive a +5% racial bonus to Spirit and Gnomes receive a +5% racial bonus to Intellect. These bonuses are not reflected in the table above, and they are actually calculated after the class and level bonuses are added.
Base stats do not include the bonus scores from classes.The class bonuses are:
* Death knight bonus stats represent a level 55 character.
Burning Crusade races EditTBC This section concerns content exclusive to The Burning Crusade.
Cataclysm races EditCataclysm This section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
Mists of Pandaria race EditMists of Pandaria This section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
Subraces (aka subspecies) are generally considered lesser groups within a main race/species. However, even these subgroups can be considered separate races or species themselves in some cases.
- Elf sub-races can include Blood elves and High elves. Night elves may be distinct enough to be a truly separate race or species.
- Dwarf sub-races can include Wildhammer, Ironforge, or Dark Iron dwarves.
- The various types of trolls are usually considered separate subraces, though occasionally separate races. The terms appear to be interchangeable to Blizzard.
- Aesir and vanir are considered two of the titan's various subraces.